Tuesday, December 08, 2015

An Issue

This fabric is now woven:

Pink cotton cloth

It's almost ready to wash and sew up, but first I have a few knots to deal with:

Pink cotton cloth

Warping with a paddle is fast, especially in the case of these recent cotton fabrics where I ran 8 to 10 threads per warp. But! it does mean I don't stop to pull back for knots, and that I have to deal with them in the weaving. Usually, I get to about an inch from the knot, as above, add a repair thread alongside the knotted thread, weave for the inch, then cut the knot-thread and weave on the repair thread for about an inch, then re-insert the original (knot) warp for about an inch, and then finally cut the repair end.

So for an inch each side of the knot, the warps are doubled, and for the space (about 2-3 inches) where the knot once was, there is a repair warp. Lot of words. I hope that makes sense!

In the interest of time though, I am trying something else this time:

Pink cotton cloth

I wove right over the knots (there were several). The plan is to insert a repair with a needle, and cut just the knot before finishing. We'll see if this saves time, or is annoying, or whatever. It's an experiment! I think it should work.

More later! once the cloth is washed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Oh, I want to know the answer!

Also, sometimes I've noticed that knots are almost completely invisible in the final fabric, so not worth fixing on or off the loom (or warping board).

12:31 PM  
Blogger blopeep said...

FWIW, this is often what I do. If really zooming along, I'll mark the knot with a thread and then deal with it when it's off the loom and before finishing.

Needle-weave about 1 1/2 - 2" of yarn alongside the knot and then just snip it away. Quick. Painless.

Hope you find it as efficient as I do.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm glad you're back! Thanks for posting.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home